Chicago: Institute of Design, 1953; 1957. Two vols, irregular 4tos. First volume is spiral bound in printed stiff wrappers; second volume is loose leaves in printed chemise. A small spot to front cover of first volume; a touch of rumpling to some edges of second volume, and with a discreet rubber-stamp on the inside of the front panel of the chemise. Item #205489
The first two numbers of this student publication from the Institute of Design, founded by Laszlo Moholy-Nagy as the Chicago Bauhaus and eventually incorporated into the Illinois Institute of Technology. These rare publications were entirely produced by students under faculty supervision and did not follow any regular format or schedule. They are made up of original works by an impressive roster of students. The first volume, edited by Frank Barr and produced in an edition of 500 copies, comprises original prints by Ray Martin, Martin Moskoff, Norman Borchew, Ivan Chermayeff, Misch Kohn, John Wood, Michael Train, Lynn Bright, and Robert Bruce Tague, among others, with introductory texts by Stanley William Hayter, Una E. Johnson, Misch Kohn, and Carl Zigrosser. The second volume includes an introduction by Aaron Siskind and contains original photographic prints, many on tissue paper and various colors and stocks by Siskind, along with Art Sinsabaugh, Ray K. Metzker, and most notably an original 8 X 10 inch gelatin silver print by Harry Callahan. The edition's press-run is not noted, but it is unlikely to have exceeded that of the previous issue. Owing to the delicate nature of the materials involved, and their loose insertion making for easy removal -- especailly of the Callahan print, which turns up separately from time to time -- complete copies such as this have become extremely rare.