Paris: 1946-1949. Over 100 printed items, most mounted on card pages in a folio-sized four-ring binder, covered in khaki cloth with marbled endpapers; about a dozen items loosely inserted. Contents fine, without wear or damage; the mounted items are affixed with acid-free glue that has not discolored the delicate paper; three copies of one of the loose handbills have been used to mount clippings of contemporary film reviews. Item #205872
Private "ciné-clubs" arose almost simultaneously with the earliest cinematic productions in France. In the postwar era, the cine-clubs flourished, providing a lifeline to independent, artistic filmmakers, developing serious audiences for cinema, and contributing to the rise of "art house" movie theaters taking the art of filmmaking seriously. Most of this collection tracks the growth of one such club as it developed, merged with like-minded clubs, and offered its audiences a marvelous range of the best in cinematic art. The Ciné-Club Universitaire/Le Cercle G. Melies becomes the Ciné-Club Melies, then merging with and adopting the name of Ciné-Club 46, and later joining forces again with the Ciné-Club Montmartre. The programs announced in this colorful collection include films by Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Laurel & Hardy, and the Marx Brothers, as well as Jean Renoir, G.W. Pabst, Jean Cocteau, Carl Dreyer, King Vidor, Abel Gance, René Clair, Fritz Lang, Orson Welles, Robert Flaherty, and many more. The album is nicely put together, with care taken for the arrangement of the individual pieces and keeping to a chronological sequence.